One of the most important parts of a blog is allowing users in interact with your content. This gives your audience the opportunity to ask questions, express appreciation for what you've written or explain different viewpoints.
Turning on comments is simple. If you have not already added your blog, please review our Blog: Getting Started article first.
How to Turn on Blog Comments and Adjust Comment Properties:
- In Site Manager, go to the page where your blog tool is located.
- In the Tool Menu, click "Update Properties".
- Choose the "Comments" tab.
- Allow Users to Submit Comments to Existing Posts: Check if you would like comments to be allowed on all existing posts.
- Force Comments to be Approved: Select if you would like comments to require approval (recommended) or if you would like them to be live automatically.
- Email Address(es) (optional): Enter any email addresses here that you would like notified of new comments. This is recommended if you require approval for new comments.
- Once you have finished filling out the properties, click Save.
Your users can add comments by clicking on "Leave a Comment" below each blog post. This will give them a short form to fill out requiring their name, email address and comment.
If you did not choose to require approval in your blog properties, you can skip this step. However, if you did select that comments require approval, here is how you can approve new blog comments.
- In Site Manager, go to the page where the blog tool is located.
- In the functional pane of the blog took, click "Show Posts Awaiting Approval".
- This will show a small pop up window where you can select "Approve" or "Delete" for each comment. If you need to see the comment, click "Show".
- If you would like to post this comment on the website, select "Approve". If you would like to delete this comment, select "Delete". Using caution when deleting a comment. Once a comment is deleted, you will not be able to recover it.
- When you are done reviewing each comment, click "submit". Now approved comments will display on your site.
Deleting Previously Approved Comments
If you approve a comment but later decide that you need to delete it, you have this option as well. However, we recommend caution when deleting anything in Site Manager. Once a comment is deleted, you will not be able to recover it.
- Click on the comment number next to the post title for this comment's post.
- Find the comment that you would like to delete and click the trash can icon next to it.
- This will give you a pop-up window, asking to confirm that you would like to delete this comment.