The Calendar - Upcoming Events Tool is unique to the right side bar. It creates a list of upcoming events, pulled directly from your Calendar Admin. This is a great way to feature what your organization is up to.
Like most other tools, the look of the actual tool will vary based on your site's design and settings. The scroll bar is not available in all instances, specifically for Custom and Signature Theme sites. Many homepages have the Upcoming Events tool built into the design.
Add an Upcoming Events Calendar
To add an Upcoming Events Calendar to the right side bar:
- In Site Manager, locate the page where you would like to add the Upcoming Events Calendar.
- Select the Right Side tab at the top of the page.
- Click the Select a Tool to Add drop down and select Calendar - Upcoming Events.
- This will take you to the properties page for the Upcoming Events Calendar tool.
- Header Text: Type in what you want the Header to say. The header text can remain empty, if desired, and is also the same field as the Tool Heading on the Preview Pane. For designed sites such as Custom or Signature Themes, the Header Text field may be a graphically enhanced label and can add visual interest as well as definition for your users.
- Date Range: Click on the down arrow to select the date range of the events you want your viewers to see. Keep in mind that you may want to change the Date Range occasionally, if you know that you have no events for a period of time or if you have a lot of events in a short amount of time.
- Check here to make a scroll bar appear if the number of events displayed becomes taller than (500) pixels high. Check this box if you want to limit the height of this tool and enter the desired number of pixels. 500px is the default height. If you do not select this, an oversized Upcoming Events tool may lengthen your entire page if you have many upcoming events. Please note: the scroll bar is not available in all instances of the right side bar, particularly with Signature Theme and Custom designs.
- Calendar Categories: You can choose All Categories if you want all types of events listed on the calendar tool or you can choose Select Categories and choose specific types of events.
- Update: Click the Update button to save your selections and add the Calendar.
- Reset: Click the Reset button to clear out the changes and start over.
Adding Multiple Calendars to a Single Page
You can add multiple calendars to the right side bar of a single page. This is a great option if you have many different categories of events and you want to make it easy for your website users to find the events they are interested in. For example, a school athletics page could have different upcoming events calendars for different sports on a single page. To do this, you first need to create individual categories in the Calendar Admin for each different type of event. Then you can add multiple Upcoming Events Calendar tools to a page by repeating the instructions above as many times as needed. Make sure to give each tool a clear heading, so that your users can easily identify the category of events that they are looking at.
Upcoming Events Tool Built-in to Homepage
Our Express Template, Signature Theme and Custom Design sites often come with an upcoming Events Calendar on the homepage. This is tool is built in to the site design and cannot be removed. However, you still have control over the Upcoming Event Calendar's settings, such as which categories show and how many days are included in the category.
- Login in to Site Manager and go to the page where the calendar is located. This is likely in the "Home" category and the page is called "Home".
- Click on the Right Side tab.
- Click on the Tool Menu and select Edit Properties.
- This will take you to the properties page.
- You can change the Date Range and Calendar Categories. The scroll bar option will not work on your homepage, as the design of this tool is set with your site's design.