An overview guide for teachers / faculty members for building their own webpages
Logging Into Your Faculty Webpage (Teacher Website):
With the Faculty Pages tool, you have the ability to set up and maintain your own web page, embedded within the school’s main website. Site Manager gives you many tools to work with. You can create a simple profile page, or you can make a large site, with several pages and tons of information.
- Go to your organizations domain and add a "/faculty" at the end of that URL. It will look like www.youraddress.org/faculty. For example, if your school's URL is "www.redrockschools.org", you would to to "www.redrockschools.org/faculty" to login. You will see a login screen like below.
- Enter your Faculty Folder name (which is your username) and password as provided by your organizations webmaster / admin user.
- The Faculty Folder and Password fields are part of setting up Faculty Members in the Faculty Database.
Editing Your Profile Page / Homepage:
- Log into the admin area of your faculty web page. Click on the Navigation Builder --> Builder Home link in top navigation bar.
- The My Home Page page will appear.
- Click into the page to update your information as needed.
Note: The photo and profile will only appear on your homepage if the website administrator set your site up to be a Profile website.
Adding Pages To Your Faculty Website:
- Log into the admin area of your faculty web page.
- Under NAVIGATION BUILDER click on Add Page.
- This will bring up the Page Navigation screen.
- Title: Type in a Title for the page. You can choose this to be Left Justified (default) or Centered on the page.
- Page URL: This will be the file name of the page you are creating. Make this a simple name in all lowercase, related directly to the content. You can use dashes (-) to separate words if needed.
- Link Name: This will auto-fill with the Title that you entered above. If you wish to name it something else you may delete what fills in and enter your own.
- Position After: Use this drop down to select where in the navigation this link will appear.
- Select the desired Navigation level.
- Level 1 links are the main links on the left side.
- Level 2 & 3 links are the lower level links that users can get to by first clicking on the higher level link just above it.
- Take note that lower level links are indented in on the Web site map. This makes it easier for your users to understand the navigation of your website.
- Page Status: Choose the Navigation Link status. This will allow you to temporarily make a page inactive. When inactive, the page will still exist but it will not be part of the navigation links on the left side. If anyone has the link they can still access it. This will allow you to work on it before making it appear in your navigation. Page Status will default to “active” for all new pages.
- Schedule Status Change: This will allow you to make a page status change on a specific date so you don't have to come back and do it later. This is optional, so if you do not want to schedule a status change, just ignore this button.
- You can choose Active, Inactive, or Inaccessible.
- Enter Change Begin Date: Enter a date when you want the Navigation Link Status to change automatically. The change will occur at 4:30 AM CST.
- Notify Email Address(es): Enter in the email address(es) of whom you wish to notify of your page status change.
- Save: Click Save to add the new page and to save any changes you make with the page properties.
Adding Content To A Page:
- Under NAVIGATION BUILDER, click on Builder Home. This will bring up the Builder Home page which lists all of your current pages.
- Click on the actual page that you would like to add content to. The main body detail page for this page will result. This is the area where you will add/update/delete which tools on this page. The first time you go to this detail page, the page will be empty.
- Select A Tool To Add: Select the tool that you would like to use for adding content to this page. Click on the drop-down to select the desired tool. You are able to add as many tools as you need.
- Content Editor: This will be the tool that you will use the most often. This gives you an easy to use editor that will allow you to add text and graphics. If you are familiar with HTML, you can also also use the "Source" side of the editor to enter HTML or paste the code from a third party source.
- Column Display: The column display allows you to easily build up to 4 columns of content. You can add text or images to your columns.
- Expand/Collapse Content: This tool allows you to have a small amount of text with a plus sign linking to a large amount. This is great for lists of FAQs or anytime you have a title that you want to follow with a longer description.
- Links: This tool is ideal for creating an organized list of Web site resources.
- Resources / Content List: This tool is perfect for uploading your newsletter, linking out to a great article on another Web site or creating your own quick news flash. You can mix the kind of resources that you include and it automatically formats your list for you.
- Widget Embed: You can use this tool to paste code from a third party source.
- Image Gallery: This tool will allow you to add photo albums with unlimited photos to your page.
- Slide Show: This tool will allow you to make your own slide show. This is a great way of showing a variety of photos on your homepage.
- Blog: The blog is a great way to keep parents informed of what is going on in the classroom. Please note that the blog tool is only included in certain service plans, so depending on your school's service plan, it may not be available.
- Calendar: This will allow you to pull the desired categories of events from you main calendar tool. You will need to read the Calendar Help Manual before adding one of these tools.
- Form Creator: This will allow you to add a survey or on-line form to your site.
- Message Board: This tool allows you to add a message board to your pages. This is a great way to connect with parents or students.
- Video Embed: This tool allows you easily embed a video from a third party source onto your website.
- Position: You can order these by selecting the appropriate location from the Position box by clicking the right or left arrow.